- Handbook of Applied
Cryptography, Menezes, van Oorschot, Vanstone, CRC 1997. (Comprehensive
treatment of modern cryptography).
Applied Cryptography, Schneier, Wiley, 1996. (Very
applied, includes code.)
Decrypted Secrets, Bauer, Springer, 2002 (3rd edition).
(Extremely comprehensive treatment of classical cryptology up to the end of
- Modern Cryptography. Theory & Practice, Wenbo Mao, Prentice-Hall, 2004.
(Excellent text on cryptography, solid mathematical
(field manual, released by the army; many similar books are available at
Aegan Park Press).
Historical and Popular Books
- The Codebreakers, David Kahn, Sribner, 1996.
(Comprehensive history of cryptology.)
- Cryptanalysis, Helen Fouche Gaines, Dover, New York. (Excellent book on
cryptanalysis of classical ciphers.)
- The American Black Chamber, Yardley, Aegean Park Press.
(Yardley was in charge of the American Black chamber which existed from 1917 to
- The Code Book, Simon Singh, Anchor, 2000. (Popular historical
account of cryptology, with a fair amount of technical detail.)
- The Cuckoo's Egg, Cliff Stoll, Pocket Books, 1990. (Real life account of
Stoll tracking down a hacker. Better than James Bond.)
Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson, Harper, 2000.
(Occasionally long-winded novel, containing accurate technical details.)
Simulators and other Tools
Last updated: April 13th, 2004.