Technical Articles and Books
- Handbook of Applied Cryptography, Menezes, van
Oorschot, Vanstone, CRC 1997. (Comprehensive treatment of modern cryptography).
Applied Cryptography, Schneier, Wiley, 1996. (Very
applied, includes code.)
Decrypted Secrets, Bauer, Springer, 2002 (3rd edition).
(Extremely comprehensive treatment of classical cryptology up to the end of
Polynomials in the
Nation's Service, Susan Landau, 2004.
Modern Cryptography. Theory & Practice, Wenbo Mao, Prentice-Hall, 2004.
(Excellent text on cryptography, solid mathematical foundations, and
Historical and Popular Books
- The Codebreakers, David Kahn, Sribner, 1996.
(Comprehensive history of cryptology.)
- The American Black Chamber, Yardley, Aegean Park Press.
(Yardley was in charge of the American Black chamber which existed from 1917 to
- The Code Book, Simon Singh, Anchor, 2000. (Popular historical
account of cryptology, with a fair amount of technical detail.)
- The Cuckoo's Egg, Cliff Stoll, Pocket Books, 1990. (Real life account of
Stoll tracking down a hacker. Better than James Bond.)
- Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson, Harper, 2000.
(Occasionally long-winded novel, containing accurate technical details.)
Simulators and other Tools
Last updated: April 13th, 2004.